Saturday, April 10, 2010

Why I Do This

I like to eat. I like to eat a lot.

I don't think I can make it any simpler than that.

Ever since I was in high school, friends and family have always commented on my ability to pack away a lot of food.

People used to say, "You should become a pro eater." I actually had no idea what that was. It wasn't until recently - maybe five or six years ago - that I remotely knew who Joey Chestnut and Takeru Kobayashi were.

Of course, I don't eat like those guys. Running through 65 hot dogs in 10 minutes isn't my thing. I can't eat that obscenely fast, for one, and to be honest I like to enjoy my food. I'm a high-capacity eater. I go the distance.

It probably isn't normal for anyone to sit down and eat 6-8 pounds of food. It's probably not normal for anyone to eat for two hours straight.

But this is what I do. I eat for fun. I eat for sport.

I'm not a "professional" eater -- I don't earn any money doing this. I would call myself a competitor. I'm always pushing myself to eat more, eat faster, to take down that restaurant challenge that no one's done yet... to eat until the server at the buffet notices my stack of dirty plates and begs me to leave.

Until recently, I didn't even know that restaurants had challenges.

This burger's free if I can eat it all in an hour?















No way! Sign me up!

I've made a hobby of this.... finding restaurants with challenges, venturing out to them, and accomplishing the task. This blog is really my attempt to document this pursuit.

I think myself of as an independent competitive eater. No organization backs me up. It's just me against the food in front of me. Some days I win (okay, most days I win), some days I lose, but I always have a good time... and plenty of tales to go around.

This is my story.

Call me.... the Freak8R.

1 comment: