Sunday, April 25, 2010

It's Hot Dog Season!


The coming of summer brings with it a few predictable things. Hot weather, ice cream, a rise in the homicide rate, and slashed prices on beach clothing.

And, of course, Nathan's Famous Hot Dog Eating Contest. Candidates for this long-running hot dog championship are picked from regional qualifiers held in the months of May and June in different venues across the United States. Eating hopefuls travel far and wide in the hopes of winning a coveted spot in the finals. The finals are held in Coney Island, New York on July 4th every year. For the past several years, ESPN has actually televised the proceedings for anyone disturbed enough to watch.

The reigning champion is the American Joey Chestnut, who most recently (2009) inhaled 69 hot dogs and buns in 10 minutes to take the Mustard Belt.

Speed contests are not really my thing, as I mentioned in my first post. The problem is that I'm not good at them... I just can't swallow the food that fast.  I really wish I could, because that's where all the fame and money is in competitive eating. Chestnut and a few guys (and girls) in his caliber have actually earned some decent money by eating freakishly fast under contest conditions.

I participated in two Nathan's qualifiers last year, but couldn't do any better than 7 dogs and buns in the 10 minute run. I constantly felt that I biting off more than I could chew. Ironically, I was almost glad when each contest ended.



Nathan's Famous Hot Dog Eating Contests - like many other organized eating competitions - are administered under the leadership of the International Federation of Competitive Eating (IFOCE). The IFOCE is probably the most recognized official body for professional eating contests in the known world. Virtually all of their contests are "speed eating contests," in which the winner is the contestant who eats the most units of contest food in a set time limit - usually no more than 10 or 12 minutes.

Thus far, I have not attracted membership in the IFOCE. My contest performances haven't warranted their attention thus far. I hope to put up better numbers in the upcoming 2010 qualifying season. It would be cool to become a member of the IFOCE.... it's recognition of my ability, and it puts me in the same class as professionals.

However, I really don't know if it would really benefit me. I'm nowhere near the ability required to defeat the top talents and win money at events. I would simply languish in the bottom of the rankings. Moreover, per their contract clauses, I would be barred from doing unsanctioned restaurant challenges. That's where I thrive as an eater! I am the master of distance consumption.... I value that independence!

Whatever happens, I'm going to have fun on the Nathan's contest stage. It's fun to run up there, as they announce your name - like you're some kind of celebrity or athlete - looking out at your cheering fans.

Ready, set, eat!

Those 10 minutes are up before you know it.

2 comments: