Wednesday, April 28, 2010

History is Written.... in Pizza

 
Pizza is one of those foods that people just love. It's junk food. It's comfort food. It is convenience: tomato sauce, cheese, and bread, in one easy-to-carry package.

It's one of those foods that people often eat in large helpings. But, anyone who claims to have eaten a lot of pizza - and there's a people out there who claim this - needs to stop by Big Mama & Papa's Pizzeria in Los Angeles to put their experience into perspective.

This pizza chain sells a 'pie' that is a whopping 54 inches by 54 inches. It's a square, technically, so math geeks would cringe at me calling it a pie, since pies are round... but I digress.

This massive pizza is called the Grand Sicilian. It begins with over 29 lbs of dough.... add the necessary fat, layers of sauce and cheese, and any other toppings you like, and you're looking at a culinary monstrosity that easily tops the 50 lb mark.

Their website claims it is the largest deliverable pizza in the world. I'm not here to debate that statement. I do know it would take a flatbed to bring this beast to anyone's house.

Any party or social gathering would be well-fed if they ordered this thing. It is cut into roughly 154 squares, and if you offered every person 2-3, you arrive at the website's suggestion that it would feed 50-70 people. Yikes!

The Hollywood Blvd. location is bold enough to offer up this pizza as a team eating challenge. It began as a 4-man affair: put it away in two hours, and you get the pizza free ($250 value), along with a $1000 bounty.

That's a lot of money to put up, but then again, it's a lot of pizza! Especially considering that the challenge must be done with one topping.... when you're talking about loading 2,916 square inches with an extra layer, you add substantial weight. The restaurant thought had a safe bet going.

And they were right! There were no successes. Not even close. So it was upped to five men..... then six.

On October 3, 2009, I joined five other big-eating individuals in an attempt to take down this challenge. We would be making eating history. We would be the first to tame this raging cheese monster.


We were amazed at the vast size of the thing when it came out to our table! It was as big as a chunk of sidewalk. A small person could crawl under it and use it as a blanket. It could have probably fed an entire elementary school - and then some.

We ate like threshers for a solid two hours. It tasted much better in the beginning, as most eating challenges go. It was incredibly rock-hard after it cooled down. In the end, the pizza proved victorious. There were 23 squares left - we had come closer than any team thus far. We made history alright, just not the particular kind we were looking for.
 

 All six of us left the restaurant feeling very full and a little bit disappointed... so close but not close enough!

I would actually need to rest on the sidewalk (read: lie down) before finally getting in my car for the drive home.
 
There is one piece of silver lining: I set a personal record for consumption. My scale at home told me that I had packed in an extra 17 lbs of weight. Even accounting for the liquids I drank, it was remarkable.

It would be a long time before I'd want to eat pizza again.

19 comments:

  1. I would like to take the challenge

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to take the challenge

    ReplyDelete
  3. can you please send by email me the code for this script or please let me know in insight concerning this script? Your technique for clarifying the entire thing in this post is truth be told lovely, every one prepared to do easily know about it, Thanks a great deal.

    Best college papers

    ReplyDelete
  4. A debt of gratitude is in order for the decent data. I am certain, I will tweet this to my twitter account. This will help a great deal of users.Very motivational to find out about somebody seeking after their fantasy and getting to be effective as opposed to taking after the customary way.
    Omzetbelasting zzp

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m planning to start my own blog soon but I’m a little lost on everything. Would you suggest starting with a free platform like WordPress or go for a paid option? There are so many choices out there that I’m completely confused .. Any suggestions? Thanks a lot!
    Teff Injera

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you are going for finest contents like myself, just go to see this site daily for the reason that it gives feature contents, thanks

    Where to buy Hungarian paprika

    ReplyDelete
  7. Actually picture is the presentation of some one’s feelings; it provides the lesson to the viewers. Honda car booking in Kalyan

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like and appreciate your blog post, thanks again. Want some more stuff.
    My Room Rent

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like and appreciate your blog post, thanks again. Want some more stuff.My Room Rent

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! Somebody in my Facebook bunch imparted this site to us so I came to give it a look. I'm unquestionably getting a charge out of the data. I'm bookmarking and will tweet this to my devotees! Magnificent blog and astounding configuration and style.It's a disgrace you don't have a give catch! I'd surely give to this splendid site! I assume for the time being i'll settle for book-checking and adding your RSS channel to my Google account. I anticipate crisp overhauls and will discuss this web journal with my Facebook bunch. Visit soon!
    inverse tights

    ReplyDelete
  11. My partner and I stumbled over here different website and thought I might as well check things out. I like what I see so now i’m following you. Look forward to checking out your web page repeatedly.Belasting amsterdam

    ReplyDelete
  12. If you are free to watch funny videos online then I suggest you to go to see this website, it contains in fact thus humorous not only movies but also additional information.

    Reparer iphone

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey there! I know this is kinda off topic but I’d figured I’d ask. Would you be interested in exchanging links or maybe guest authoring a blog post or vice-versa? My blog goes over a lot of the same topics as yours and I believe we could greatly benefit from each other. If you happen to be interested feel free to shoot me an e-mail. I look forward to hearing from you! Great blog by the way!Zzp boekhouder

    ReplyDelete
  14. When somebody composes a bit of composing he/she holds the thought about a client in his/her mind that how a client can know it. Thusly that is the reason this bit of composing is outstdanding. Much obliged!

    Persian Immigration Lawyer

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's the most clear show up, so everyone's audit. It's avoiding on like being at risk to break. The more reruns they outline, the more people watch. My mom can't stop seeing. I think she has an issue.
    Belastingadvies haarlem

    ReplyDelete
  16. I visit each day several locales and destinations to examine substance, in any case this site offers highlight based substance.
    Healer amsterdam

    ReplyDelete