Sunday, April 18, 2010

A Trip to the Buffet in April




Sometimes I can't find a proper eating challenge. Or.... I've finished all the ones close by and I don't feel like a trek. I'll just head to a buffet and make my own challenge.

I frequented the "Asia Buffet" in Buena Park recently for this purpose. I'd never been there before, but I was instantly impressed with the quality and variety of the food present there.

Hometown Buffet has an awesome weekend breakfast promotion going right now - who can beat a bottomless breakfast for $5 - you know I'll be going there soon.

I had the cravings for something different. Something.... from the sea. And not moving. I would need an Asian buffet.

Let's get a look at what I ate for an early lunch:



I started off with a collection of salt 'n' pepper shrimp and a bunch of different sushi pieces. Note the dab of wasabi and strip of sashimi on the plate on the right. I love hot food in moderate doses. Wasabi is a good kick in the sinuses, but it goes away pretty fast!

The shrimp was salty but tasty. The sushi was absolutely awesome. There were at least 24 pieces of sushi on the pictured plate.

I almost couldn't believe that a buffet can sell sushi this way and be profitable.

I thought I died and went to Heaven.

Paradise. Nirvana. Somewhere.

Was this place making money!?

I guess they must have been. They wouldn't have opened the doors that morning, or have so employees on the staff.

The number of workers was astounding to me. I hoped none of them were watching me too closely.

My second round consisted of more sushi - at least another dozen pieces. Dragon rolls, eel rolls, crab rolls, and some California rolls. More good stuff. The orange chicken was sweet and spicy, not stellar, but definitely better than most buffet versions. The chicken they used was actually quite lean.



Here's some whitefish - I took three large slabs. It was fatty in sections, but for the most part it was bland and non-memorable. I definitely prefer some tilapia!

I also packed away some deep-fried shrimp and sesame balls. I love the taste and texture of the bean paste you find in these fried flour lumps. I know they're not healthy for you, but they're too good to pass up. The deep-fried shrimp was decent. But I did not have much taste for the thick coating.



I got a break from the salty and savory by sampling the buffet's fruit platter. Mandarin oranges, glazed bananas, strawberries with cream, and two kinds of pudding: chocolate and tapioca. These plates were heavy, but they were incredibly sweet. I do not regret them one bit(e).



The large chunk of pink salmon on the left was very difficult to get through. It was a nice, lean sample of fish - but bland!! I needed to use soy sauce and water to finally get through it. The sushi and sesame balls were a rerun at this point, but I had to get my fix for them while I was still in the restaurant. I think I consumed around 36 pieces of sushi during this visit.




And I always cap things off with dessert - an entire plate or two of sugary goodness. I found these sweets delectable, but certainly nothing out of this world. I liked the little chocolate cake squares. I probably could have lived without the little pie cubes. The chocolate soft serve was.... well, COLD!

But it didn't prevent me from finishing my last few bites. I really enjoyed this buffet, and I know I'll be back. But not until I develop my taste for this kind of food again.

I'm getting a little full just looking at these pictures.

And a little hungry, too. I might be back soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment