Sunday, April 10, 2011

Hawkins' House of Burgers


Once again I'm putting aside more important endeavors to write about an old restaurant experience.

Meet the Hawkin's Special, from Hawkins' House of Burgers in Watts. All kidding aside, this had to be one of the roughest neighborhoods I've ever visited. The staff was incredibly friendly, but the restaurant's outdoor dining area was covered with bars. Needless to say I bought my food and trekked home.


The restaurant doesn't offer a formal challenge, but this is one serious burger. 27 oz of pre-cooked beef, pastrami (instead of bacon), American cheese, chili, tomato, onions, and lettuce. It's packed like a smaller burger inside of a larger burger.

It comes in a combo with fries and two cans of soda. The fries were still in the bag. If you like playing "Where's Waldo," you get bonus points if you can spot the second can of soda in the photo.

I don't remember the exact cost, but it was around $10. My kitchen scale indicated that the massive burger stack weighed around 2.5 lbs. It was as delicious as it was monstrous. Messy too.

My last visit was October 2009. I think a second sampling is long overdue.

1 comment: