Sunday, May 30, 2010

Souplantation: The Land of Bottomless Carbs



Last week, I visited Souplantation in the city of San Bernardino. I'd previously visited another location of the restaurant in Fullerton, but the experience was very similar. The decor of the restaurant is bright and quiet, with clean tables and a selection of buffet foods that tilt heavily to the side of carbohydrates.

Arranged like a soup kitchen with a long salad line, this is the Land of Carbs! Soups, salads, breads, pastas, potatoes, and soft-serve ice cream, all on an unlimited tap. It's not bad at all, but if you want more meat you better go elsewhere. The food tastes a bit better at Souplantation, but I prefer the wider selection at Hometown Buffet. Souplantation may offer Dreyer's brand soft-serve, but I think the no-name version at other buffets goes down just as nicely.

 




My meal included a heaping plate of salad, two baked potatoes, three bowls of soft-serve ice cream, a plate of pasta with tomatoes, two bowls of soup (beef chili was awesome - vegetable barley was okay), four muffins (pecan, blueberry, and oat bran), two chocolate brownies, and four plates of cheese bread (which looks and taste a lot like thick-crust pizza). I drank two cups of Diet Coke with my meal. I felt very full afterwards, but I must admit I felt okay until I drank that second glass! 

My favorite of the meal was the Pizza-ish bread, which tasted way better than some other legitimate pizzas I've eaten. The only gripe I had was the thickness of the bread. Then again, there was a very bready aspect to the entire meal at Souplantation. This place must make loads of money, considering how inexpensive white flour must be. 

Carbs, carbs, and more carbs! 

2 comments: