Friday, June 4, 2010

Miniature Fame


Frank's Famous Hot Dogs in San Luis Obispo, CA has a "Wall of Fame" in their restaurant dedicated to people who love eating sliders.

Sliders, or miniburgers as they known in this establishment, are simply smaller versions of the hamburger or cheeseburger. They have the exact same condiments you would find in the larger, older, more common burger. They're just more convenient, easier to hold, and pack fewer calories per unit.

Eaters are honored on the Wall of Fame if they can manage to eat 10 miniburgers (or more) during a single dining visit. They also receive a free t-shirt advertising Frank's, and of course, all the glitz and glamour that goes with completing an eating challenge.... and maybe some bragging rights. If you're the kind of person who likes to brag about mass consumption.

One special mass consumer is honored as the reigning miniburger eating champion.... the record as of my January 2010 visit stood at 26 miniburgers. Beat the record by one burger and you become the new champion. Not only do you get your name and picture mentioned in a special slot.... you also get a refund for your entire meal. That's a heck of an enticement! At $1.39 per burger, a new champ would be looking at $40 of free food. Not bad.

I was not in a position to make the attempt, but I gladly went for the 10-on-the-wall. The burgers were moist, juicy, and flavorful. I ate mine with all the toppings - lettuce, tomatoes, and shredded cheddar cheese - and did not regret my experience at all. It took me 20 minutes to fully consume the burgers, which were slightly larger than what I would call miniburgers. The staff was incredulous that I had finished so quickly.


My picture now adorns their wall, lost in an anonymous sea of fellow challenge winners. Obviously, it's not a very difficult feat. One day I will go back and lay claim to their championship title. Just 27 burgers to go, right?

San Luis Obispo has not seen the last of me.

2 comments: