Sunday, May 16, 2010

The Joys of Raw Fish


Sushi Delight is a small Japanese restaurant in Lomita, California... right along the Pacific Coast Highway. It was tough to find because of all the nearby construction that was happening. Let it be known that GPS is not really so helpful when the roads are being torn up!

I still managed to find my way there one Friday evening. Pictured above is their massive "Godzilla Roll." It resembles chunks of burrito more than any real sushi dish... but it really is 4 lbs of sushi! Priced at $34.99, it is currently only available as a single-diner challenge item. Five guys can't just walk in there and hope to share a bargain sushi meal, because as we know, legitimate sushi does not come cheap!

The Godzilla Roll was huge. This was not my first time dabbling in raw fish, but I'd never gorged on it before hitting this challenge. I remember tearing through spicy tuna, shrimp, lobster, and at least a dozen other ingredients. The mixture of flavors may not have been optimal, but it was a hell of a lot of food!


Even a single portion of the roll looks huge. I tackled 12 of the 14 sections in 30 minutes. You get an hour for this challenge, so I was making excellent time. The taste became increasingly bland as the time wore on, but I made the all-clear at the 39 minute line. I think using a fork was a smart move, but I probably could have done better if I used my hands.... then again, I was in a classy restaurant. No need to look like a savage while virtually inhaling raw seafood.


The management came out to congratulate me on my performance. They could not believe I had really eaten the whole dish.... which, at that point, was a familiar story I was used to hearing! Sometimes you can't help but impress.... I was the 4th person to accomplish this task, out of dozens of attempts. I received the meal for free and got a nifty T-shirt advertising the restaurant and its massive Godzilla Roll.

Anyone who thinks they can destroy 4 lbs of sushi in 60 minutes needs to get to this place! The staff was friendly, the decor was relaxing, and the challenge item was unique.

Like I always say: food always tastes better when it is free!

2 comments: