Saturday, January 28, 2012

Feeling Fab


Fab Hot Dogs is a restaurant with a strong local following. Located in Reseda, CA, they were famously featured on the TV food program "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives" in 2009. The eatery actually sells T-shirts referencing Guy Fieri and the TV appearance.

I visited them in April 2011 in connection with a video project that hasn't yet materialized.

So.. Fab Hot Dogs maintains two Walls of Fame, one dedicated to customers who have sampled every item on the menu (in their lifetime), and another for the diner who holds the record for most hot dogs and buns consumed in a single 30-minute visit.  While eating everything on the menu in one visit seemed tempting, I was there to break the house hot dog record.

In 30 minutes, I pushed the record from 10.5 dogs and buns up to 15. It wasn't particularly difficult to put up such a number. The owner gave me the option of stopping at 11, since that would have secured the record and my spot on the wall. It seemed like a good idea to keep going since I still had time and room in my stomach.

How were the hot dogs? Well, delicious. Juicy. Flavorful. I don't eat hot dogs often so it's hard to describe their taste creatively! The dogs themselves were slightly bigger than a Nathan's competition frank. The buns were clearly larger and heavier than anything I'd run across in a contest. 15 hdbs at Fab probably equates to over 20 hdbs at a Nathan's contest.

Oh yes, I also received a T-shirt to commemorate my ascendancy as the new hot dog record holder. Its got a likeness of Guy Fieri's face on it and a really slick store logo. Hard to believe I have yet to see a single episode of his show.

3 comments: