Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Coming Up Short



A commenter on Eatfeats wondered if I've ever lost an eating challenge. There have been a few. In all but one case, I've managed to go back and avenge my defeat. Over time, my speed and capacity skill set have improved and that has led to stronger results.

I've never lost a heat challenge. I've never lost the second or third challenge I've attempted on the same day.



My challenges are lost when the time limit is excessively short or when I choke (literally). Rice has posed the greatest difficulty for me where speed eating is concerned. The Bikkuri Don, a 5 lb sashimi and rice bowl available at Wakasaya in Los Angeles, proved elusive for me within the 15 minutes. Last month, I conquered it in 10. That's evidence of progress.

The team 36" pizza (in the video at the top) met its end when I returned with Johnnie Excel as my partner the following month. Aaron Ybarra is an excellent speed eater, but the pizza was simply too massive for us to complete as a team. I'm also suspicious that the crust was thicker when I tried it with Aaron. 


File photo courtesy J. Excel's Facebook
To date, the sole challenge that has eluded me is the 3-foot Philly cheesesteak at Big Mike's in Hermosa Beach. My old stab at that behemoth sandwich came in November 2010. The last bite was in my mouth at the 30 minute mark but the manager refused to take it. I think I'm due for a rematch.

A future post will discuss that 3-foot sammich in detail. There's tons of photos, as well the story of a friend who completed it right after I failed and made me look like a chump. Such is life.

Hope everyone's ready for a new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment