Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Local Competiton


Matt Stonie and I have this ongoing conversation about the relative value of buffets. He thinks I should avoid Hometown Buffet. When a new Asian buffet recently opened in Colton, I decided to take the Megatoad's advice.

This place is a bit on the small side physically. Given the local restaurant scene, they have their work cut out for them. Located off the Washington St-Mt Vernon Ave exit on the 215 freeway, they're smack dab in the middle of about 20 fast-food joints, sit-down establishments, Starbucks Coffee, Walmart, and about a block away from an established all-you-can-eat sushi restaurant.

Three miles east in San Bernardino you'll hit Hospitality Lane, where you'll see about 35 restaurants including the infamous King Buffet. Buffet Star needs to make an impression around here.

I spent about an hour dining here. My visit occurred on the first Saturday they were in operation, two days after their grand opening on March 24. Weekend meals are priced at $10.95, weekday lunch is $6.95, and weekday dinners run $9.95. Given the neighborhood, the prices seem reasonable.

As per my typical habit at Asian buffets, I started with sushi.


This was better than I expected. Most $10-12 buffets that I've frequented don't put out much raw fish. They typically dole out mostly California rolls, but here they were rolling out tuna and salmon in addition to imitation crab. They were fresh too. As far as value went, this was probably my best sushi haul since discovering Daikoku Japanese Steak House in Victorville with its $15 all-you-can-eat sushi roll special.

The Caterpillar Rolls were excellent. The nigiri was very fresh. Some of the sashimi strips more closely resembled large insects than pieces of sushi. Their wasabi was nice and strong. The avocado was plentiful.


A crowded plate with some 24 pieces. They were large portions.


At this point, the sushi chef noticed that I had been to the serving station several times. He wanted to make sure I liked the food! Well, I was honest.


The salt-and-pepper shrimp was a bit greasy but well done.

And more.


The egg roll, sesame balls, and cream cheese wantons were all fresh. There's also one piece of nigiri on this plate. Couldn't resist one final raw parting gift.


The requisite fruit plate. Watermelon was my favorite selection.


My evil sugar habit finally asserts itself. Coconut macaroons, chocolate pudding, banana creme pudding, brownie, and cake square. "Sweet Tooth" would have been proud of this plate - and the two following.


Instead of the standard soft serve machine, this place has a deep freezer with huge canisters of real ice cream and serving scoops. I appreciated the difference.


No better way to end a meal than with 8 scoops of ice cream, a pile of cookies, a brownie, and vanilla pudding. Those last two plates were awesome.

Honestly, I had no idea no much I'd eaten at that point. Buffets should install scales at their tables. Sometimes it's best to play it safe, so I stopped here and finished my glass of water.

This place needs to stick around. It's got some good stuff. All 11 plates' worth.

Matt was right... avoiding the $5 breakfast paid off big time.

2 comments: