Sunday, December 26, 2010

Dan's Super Subs


Though there's a much bigger and more recent story I could be writing about, I'm tired. So I'll just resort to a story I mentioned on my "roadmap" a few posts back.

Dan Super Subs in Woodland Hills offers a straightforward submarine sandwich eating challenge. Order and eat any two jumbo 13" sandwiches in one hour to get your name on their wall of fame. Women have the option of eating one jumbo sub and one regular (8") sub to enter the wall of fame.

I visited in January 2010 when I happened to be in the area. As far as challenges go, there is nothing difficult about this one. I went with one hot sandwich, pastrami, and one cold sandwich, turkey. The total weight of the two sandwiches could not have exceeded 3 lbs.


Think Subway, just fresher and about an inch longer. The pickles on top were a nice touch. The hot sandwich went down faster, but in all I didn't need more than 22 minutes to finish. It was a leisure stroll down the espohagus.


There is special recognition provided for male and female mass consumers... but I wasn't interested in going for the house record at the moment (I believe it currently stands at 5 sandwiches). I was dealing with a recent traumatic experience, and for a awhile considered quitting this activity altogether. Small victories (and good friends) encouraged me to stay in it.

Stephanie Wu recently visited Dan's Super Subs during an eating roadtrip and took over the women's house record with 3 jumbo subs. I applaud that win. She also reported on a revamped prize structure... which may be enough to convince me to visit again if I'm near enough.

The manager was really friendly, the staff neat and professional. It's a small shop, but I see them taking their business far. Here's to a second location!

3 comments: